Therapy in Schools
Coach House Counselling also offers a school based holistic counselling service,'Therapy in Schools'. This aims to: 'build children's mental health, well-being and resilience through direct therapeutic intervention and by supporting families and schools'
I have over ten years' previous experience of working in schools as a Speech and Language Therapy Assistant and a Family Support Advisor (Counsellors' Profiles). In these roles I frequently met children whose primary need was their emotional health and well-being. I recognised this a barrier to allowing them to engage, achieve and thrive in school. This inspired me to retrain as a Counsellor and set up 'Therapy in Schools'. I have also undertaken additional specialist training and volunteered through Place2Be (just Click Here to visit their website) , a pioneering counselling model in London and other big cities.
What do I offer?
- One-to-one weekly counselling sessions with children
- Meetings with parents and school staff
- Advice to key staff working with the child
- Classroom observations
- Support for a whole school positive mental health ethos
- Staff training
Research paints a picture of life in our primary schools
• One in five children will experience a mental health difficulty at least once during their first 11 years
• Two million children live in a household with a parent who has a mental illness - Parrott et al., 2008
• One million children live with a problem drinker as a parent - Tunnard, 2002
• Up to 35% will report being physically abused in childhood - NSPCC
• One third of children are bullied at least once- World Health Organization
• Children from households with the lowest incomes are four times more likely to have serious mental health problems than those from the wealthiest
Source: Centre for Mental Health (just Click Here to visit this website)
How to contact me
If you are interested in having 'Therapy in Schools' as a service in your school or would like further information, please contact Karen Warriner on [email protected]